X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 59 / 182





59 / 182

Priesthood. We returned to San Lorenzo in the evening.

Monday, 22nd

It blowed fearful and a hurricane of sand and wind until Friday, then it snowed and we had the earth once more drenched with water. Saturday, I made a bed stead and it was a fine day.

Sunday, May 6

Went to Savoia and held meeting and the next day we baptized eight Navajos and returned home in the evening, Thursday, the 10th, Brother John Hunt and family, wife and ten children, arrived. Also Brother Manasa Blackburn and Brother Edward Westover, wife and two children. We are glad to meet these brethren as we are quite lonely.

Saturday, 12th

Mary Maughn, wife of John Maughn, took sick and died very suddenly. Unexpectedly to al1 of us. We buried her on Sunday. She was a quiet and a good woman. We had traveled with her from Johnson (near St. George). She has been the only woman companion of my wife, until the recent arrival of my sister Elizabeth.

We had made arrangements previous to this to move to our new residences. A man came to us whom we suspected of having the small pox, so we moved on Sunday (day that Sister Maughn was buried) to our new place. Put up my tent and a little board shanty. Slept in tent first night. Tuesday, moved our stove into the cabin as well as a very sick Indian girl of fifteen years whom my sister Elizabeth had raised. Our little hut was filled with the friends of the poor sick girl.

It rained very hard all night whilst I slept in the tent, seven feet long. Our things were in a scattered condition and the storm continued. Wednesday, put roof on one room of the new house. Got it muddied up and the stove in on Thursday. Many of our little company huddled around that fire and were sheltered once more from the cold and wet. On Friday we moved Annie, the sick Indian girl, into the new room. Brother Maughn and daughter lived with us during this week. William Merkell and wife were with us four days. Catherine, who was quite poorly did all in her power for their welfare. On Sunday, I left for Savoia with Brother John Hunt, Powell and Lorenzo Jr. and held a meeting there. Baptized three Navajos on Monday. One woman was carried in a blanket to the water. After baptism we administered to her, she got up and walked to her horse and rode away. Her name was Ruth. I gave her this name.

We returned home and found that Annie had died. On Tuesday, the 2nd, we buried her. She was one of the infant children of the Bear River Tribe when my sister Elizabeth bought her of some Indians. She was much beloved by us all and we deeply mourn her loss. She was a girl of great faith and strictly a Saint.

From Wednesday to Saturday, we worked putting in our crops or a portion of them. Saturday moved our bed into the shanty. I did much hard work during this week on Zuni’s wagons. Sunday, the 27th, we held meeting. Brother Burnham was with us and several of the Spanish, one by the name of Riges. Next day, sent off letters to my family and worked till Friday on Zuni wagons and the boys worked at the crop.

Friday, June 1

All was peace. Catherine’s health improved. The weather a little warmer and a prospect of summer. Baptized one Indian on June 3, This week worked hard putting in corn and fixing wagons to get supplies to obtain bread. On Sunday, Brother Hunt, Burnham and families came to San Lorenzo, and we had a good meeting. Next week, continued our labors planting corn and etc. On Tuesday, the 11th, (I think) we had a good rain and a rainbow rested down on our land, spanning it on either side. We felt that it was a good omen. We finished our crop this week and on Sunday, the 17th, I went to Savoia and held meeting. Several of our company went with me. Returned same day. Next week prepared to go to St. Johns.

Wednesday, 20th

Thomas and I started for St. Johns and camped at Fish Springs the first night with Brother J. Maughn. On Thursday arranged for two loads of freight for Albuquerque and got nine sacks of Corn to pay for work on wagons at Zuni and traveled on. Saturday, the 23rd, arrived at St. Johns. Here I divided my corn into two grists and took it to two mills. These mills are small ones and can only grind six bushels in twelve hours.

Wednesday, 27th

Twenty-three years since the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph. This town (St, Johns) has about 100 families and all but three or four are Spaniards. I met with three or four Americans who were on a visit to this place from Springerville, thirty miles above on the Colorado, who treated me very kind. I paid seventy-five cents in money for the grinding and on Sunday, the 24th, I left for the settlements of our people down the river. Camped at Hunt’s Ranch, at Tenney’s Place (Woodruff), at Lake’s Camp and at Allen’s Camp (Joe City). Prospects for good crops at both camps. Went to Brother Lot Smith’s camp (Sunset). Brother Lake went with me. Here we held a meeting and some of Brother Ballinger’s camp attended. Crops look fine. Wheat is in the head and some is turning. I got 600 pounds of flour at $3.75 per cwt. Will return sacks. Have seven sacks of Brother Lake’s at my place.

Saturday, 30th

Fixed wagon, hobbles and prepared for my trip home. Got some flour of Brother Lake and left nine or ten cwt. of meal in its place. I was treated as a missionary and a friend.


Document info
Document views885
Page views885
Page last viewedWed Jan 18 10:32:00 UTC 2017