X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 6 / 182





6 / 182

was Hezekiah and his family baptized than he took the glad tidings to his father, Jeremiah, and family, all of whom embraced the truth except Jeremiah, Jr. Jeremiah Sen. was seventy-four years old and his wife, Elizabeth, sixty-eight years at the time of their baptism in 1840. Yet, they enthusiastically joined their children in the difficult move to Nauvoo, Autumn of 1842. He was a veteran of the Revolutionary War in which struggle his father, Nathaniel Hatch, lost his life.

It was at the temple in Nauvoo that Jeremiah, Sen., and Elizabeth received their endowments, one week before the final exodus from that city. (31 January 1846) Elizabeth died at Winter Quarters 5 December 1847 and three months later her husband gave the above blessing to his grandson, Lorenzo. It was more than two years later that Jeremiah, the beloved grandfather, died on the plains near Council Bluffs at the age of eighty-six years. (23 May 1850)]

[Birthdates of seven of his children ommitted]

NAUVOO April 14, A.D. 1844, ordained Seventy: Mission to Vermont

I was ordained a Seventy by Joseph Young, President of the Seventies, and started on the 15th, with Thomas E. Fuller on a mission to Vermont to preach the gospel. [This mission was to advocate Joseph Smith as President of the United States. Mission over shortly after martyrdom.] It was Monday, 3:00 o’clock P.M. when we found a man in from the country with a team and got a chance of riding with him to a village about sixteen miles from Nauvoo. His name was Simon Draper. We stayed that night with Father Gates.

Next morning, at 8:00 o’clock started on our way with the same man and rode with him until about 12:00 o’clock noon. Started on foot and traveled until about dark. We came to a house and wanted to stay all night. He wouldn’t keep us saying that he started Mormons away at dark. At the next house we wanted to stay, but the privilege was denied us. We told him that if he would not keep us in the name of the Lord, that we would stay out of doors. Accordingly we stayed out of doors and slept in the hazel brush with our valises under our heads and it was very cold, being the 16th of April.

We arose before day and started on after thanking the Lord for our preservation through the cold and dreary night. We got our breakfast at a farm house and paid for it, I was taken quite sick, having eaten nothing from one morning till the next. After throwing up my breakfast, I felt better and we traveled on that day for thirty miles and put up at a public house, and paid our bill, thinking that it would not be prudent to stay out of doors at this time of year.

Thursday, April 17. Went to Peoria on the Illinois River. Took dinner at Brother Hunt’s who lived at this place. We crossed by ferry and traveled a few miles staying with a Brother by the name of Dobson all night.

Friday, April 19.

We went to Bolen Green and heard of some brethren about five miles from there. We found them that night and stayed with Brother Sheppherd. Spent Saturday the 20th with these brethren as well as Sunday the 21st and preached to the people and counseled them to go to Nauvoo.

Monday, April 22.

Took leave of the brethren and went to Brother Benson’s. Took dinner with him and traveled on to a brother’s by the name of Vail. Here we stayed all night of Tuesday the 23rd. Brother Vail took his horse and went five miles with us. He took us across a creek. The streams were very high, as it had rained a great deal for a few days past. We traveled through many streams this day as the country was most deluged in water. We traveled thirty miles and stayed a11 night with a woman by the name of Oliver at Oliver’s Grove. The man was not at home. We bore our testimony, which had a good effect.

Wednesday, April 24.

Traveled on, we found a great deal of water and very deep sloughs, which run, like rivers. We forded them, holding our coats up so as to keep our books out of the water. Stayed all night at Ash Grove. We stayed with a woman and her sons who told us that Mormons couldn’t stay in the Grove. We passed as travelers and felt of the boys heads and praised them for their good sense. They wouldn’t take any money because we were such “good fellows.”

Thursday, April 25.

We traveled about twelve miles and came to the town of Milford where Brothers Norman Milford, James Munroe, and Marcellus Bates had raised up a Branch of the Church. When we arrived here, I was taken sick in consequence of sleeping out of doors (may they receive their rewards according to their works) and also in consequence of the wet weather and exposure that I had to pass through. We stayed there nine days and preached to the saints. My health improved. We preached seven times and baptized one man by the name of George W. Harris. On the 4th of May, we ordained Benjamin F. Chamberlain an Elder and Giles Harris, a Teacher, Vie left Milford, Monday, May 5th for Lafayette in Indiana, traveling thirty-two miles that day, Stayed with a man all night by the name of Janens.

Having been sick, it was hard for me to walk so far in one day, I was very sick all that night but no one knew my feelings as I kept them to myself.

This man and his wife treated us with great respect and shed tears when we left. They believed our testimony and no doubt they would have been baptized if we had stayed a few days with them.

Tuesday, May 6.

Traveled to Lafayette on the Wabash River and took a boat on the Canal. Name of Canal was the Wabash and


Document info
Document views928
Page views928
Page last viewedFri Jan 20 06:39:52 UTC 2017