X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 75 / 182





75 / 182

April 30

The water was given by turns. I came to this country six years ago [tree in the Indian Mission and three on the Little Colorado River] and have done all in my power for the cause of the poor and for the Lamanite Mission. Have labored three years on the Woodruff Dam whilst others followed after and clamored for honors of doing great things and did frequently try to confiscate the labors of others. So the first Counselor to President J. N. Smith was tried, also the patriarch in the Church. [Of course this counselor and patriarch were both the same man, namely, L. H. Hatch.]

May 5

A petition was presented in behalf of the people, signed by President J. N. Smith and many others of Taylor and Snowflake, asking Brother Charles Shumway to lower the toll to one-tenth at his mill. He had been taking one eighth. Ezra and Hyrum went to the mill. Hyrum started back to Woodruff and took Chloe with him.

[A loose scrap of paper, 3 x 4 inches, is inserted at this point.]

St. Johns, 7 March, 1882: To whom it may concern: This is to certify that I have let L. H. Hatch have my house, the one joining David Johnson’s on the east, in payment of a note given to Mr. Jarvis and held by Mr. Hatch and fifty cents in cash paid by A.M. Tenney. Said house is at Woodruff.

Sunday, 8th

We had a nice rain. Spoke on the subject of ingratitude. Monday, we watered till 2:00 P.M. and Brother Millett used the oxen. Tuesday, I put in some corn on the city lots. Wednesday, our team got away and Ezra went and got the colts and found the oxen. We plowed some for melons. Thursday, Heber (son) started for Woodruff and found the mare and the sorrel and brought them back. We plowed some and planted some melons. Friday, I watered the lucern and traded Prince for one of Dustin’s horses. Saturday, we planted cane, and Brother Whipple came and slept with us. Sunday, he was our home missionary. He spoke for one hour on “Cause and Effect.” I referred to the oppression of the poor and the spirit of revenge so often indulged in by men and finding fault with our leaders.

Saturday, May 20

Went to Woodruff with Brother Dustin. Put in some cabbage in the evening and held meeting on Sunday. I spoke on the signs of the latter days, men being lovers of themselves, etc.

May 25

Brother George Lake came this afternoon and reported that the Forestdale Indians had come to that place and demanded their land and wanted the brethren to move off. He wished counsel. He stayed all night and went to Woodruff on Saturday. I sent some papers with him. At 2:00 P.M. we held a meeting with the High Priests

at Snowflake and gave instructions concerning the remnants [Indians] of the land and what our treatment toward them should be and that the brethren’s hearts should be softened toward them or the peace we had looked for would vanish away.

May 29

Continued work on my farm. I got a chance on Monday to find out the locality of land that I wish for a homestead. Mr. Hagge, an agent for the railroad lands, came with a compass and assisted me. Thursday, attended fast meeting and learned of an Indian outbreak five miles above here at Walnut Springs. Five Indians broke on some stock and fired several times at Brother Plum, wounded his horse, and he narrowly escaped. I wrote to President Smith and sent a messenger to gather the scattered families as the matter appeared to be quite serious.

Brother Nathan Robinson killed by Indians

Brother Nathan Robinson was killed. We sent out men and found his body thrown into Showlow Creek. Search was made on Friday. On Saturday we sent teams to bring home the body. Brought my family from the ranch down to Taylor and all the people from Reidhead came in. Much excitement prevailed. Guarded the horses. Sent out messengers for scattered brethren, etc. I got to Brother Solomon’s stock yard on Saturday night. I got a board shanty to put my family in from Sister Winsor, the wife of Alonzo Winsor. Sunday, I hung a door and put up some shelves in the shanty. The Bishop went to his ranch to get the things he had left. Four horsemen accompanied him. Found everything all right. We held two meetings. Did some business and agreed to sustain the brethren in the military.

Monday, June 5

The Mayor wished the Captain of the Cavalry to go and gather some stock. The Captain wanted the orders written. The Mayor refused to write them and our labors were all stopped in the military line. The Mayor called on the Ward Teachers and his counselors to stand guard. Tuesday, it commenced raining. It was the heaviest rain that had fallen for years. Did much good for the crops. Brother Woods was struck with lightening and wonderfully escaped death. His foot was badly injured but will be all right again.

Sunday, 19th

We had a beautiful rain. Wednesday, I got 223 pounds of corn for seed from Brother Farley. Sent some corn to Woodruff. At High Priests meeting held on Saturday, President Smith spoke at some length on cooperation and on the Indian settlement. I spoke on cooperative affairs. In the evening we got the use of some water from Orval Allen.

Armed Mexican mob attacks

Saturday, June 25


Document info
Document views949
Page views949
Page last viewedSat Jan 21 02:54:40 UTC 2017