X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 8 / 182





8 / 182

of one of my cousins in the town of Bristol, Vermont. It was about noon. I stood in the middle of the Sitting Room reading the letter to my cousin, when a voice plain and distinct said, “Brigham Young is the man God has chosen to fill the vacancy.” I so declared to my cousin. My father had gone to the Great Beyond and Brigham Young was a Father to me all the remainder of his life.--Lorenzo Hill Hatch.”

After haying was over, I worked for $7.00 per month for Seneca Sumner, my mother’s cousin. That was all they would give me although I earned twice that much. During the winter, I threshed some grain and chopped wood for different ones, among these, a man named Thomas Wilder for whom I fixed up a shop. He didn’t pay me all that he agreed to do. Let him have his reward.

Return to Nauvoo

During the winter, Brother Harding and I went to the state of New York and preached several times, also preaching once or twice in Vermont. Then we commenced fixing for our return to Nauvoo. In the spring of 1845, bade my kindred farewell and left in company with Brother Harding and Johnathan Heywood. Brother Heywood took his family. His wife was a bitter enemy to the truth and murmured all the way. We went to Buffalo, from there to Chicago and from there across the state of Illinois to Savanna, on the Mississippi River. Here we took a steamer and arrived all safe after twenty days of travel at Nauvoo, a distance of 1500 miles. I was away one year and three months during which time I traveled many hundreds of miles on foot. I was turned out of doors several times in Illinois and also in the state of New York because I was a Mormon. The Lord did preserve me all the time I was gone, At home. I found brothers and sisters all well; my grandfather and grandmother were well. I was happy to get home and found Nauvoo flourishing; such crops, I never saw growing out of the earth before.


After resting myself and visiting, I went out to the farm where Jeremiah (my brother) lived and worked with him through the summer. We concluded to build a house on the farm. We therefore commenced getting materials together for that purpose. We cut hay on the prairie on shares of one half. When our half was delivered in the city of Nauvoo, we sold it for $4.00 a load. By this means, we got our brick and lime and paid for some mason work. We brought the Lime to the spot, got some lumber on the ground, and got the brick ready to be brought from the kiln, when all of our work ceased. Our lime still lies there and our brick is in the kiln this day for all I know about it. The devil commenced raging and the mobs commenced burning the houses of the saints in the surrounding country and the inhabitants had toffee for their lives

I went to Nauvoo and stood guard with the rest of my brethren. I went to put down the mob. We went to Warsaw and the town was all vacated. The devils had gone, so there was no fight for us. I shall only give an outline of my life here, as I kept no daily journal.

[Lorenzo worked on the Temple during these last months.] We succeeded in getting the Temple so nearly done that many thousands received their endowments during the winter. In the fall of 1845, Father Fuller and his family came to Nauvoo. I became attached to his daughter, Hannah. In 1846, the 2nd or 1st of February, I with her received our endowments. On the 3rd of February 1846, I was married by Bishop Hale to Hannah Elizabeth Fuller.

Leaves Nauvoo with Father-in-Law

My Father-in-law requested me and Daniel MaArthur and Guy Barnum to go with him into the wilderness as he had wagons and money to buy teams with which to take all his family. The brethren aforementioned had married his daughters which made about twenty persons. The Church had agreed several months previous, to leave Nauvoo. We complied with the request of the old gentleman, The property left of my father’s estate--which belonged to us--was worth $3000 before this difficulty came upon us, but at this time it couldn’t be sold at all for any price. So of necessity I was obliged to comply with the request, as I had no means to take me away. We fitted up the wagons, broke the cattle, get all things ready and on the 27th of February, I bade my friends farewell and we crossed the Mississippi River on the ice. We got to the camp about 3:00 P.M. where the brethren were.

We were organized into Benjamin Johnson’s company, We remained here several days during which time I went back to Nauvoo and collected $150 in store goods for Samuel Gurley. While I was away the camp moved out a few miles. We moved slowly and stopped several times as we worked to obtain corn and meat. After traveling a few weeks, Father Fuller and Hyrum Bostick were put into George Miller’s (Bishop) company. When we got to Garden Grove, we stopped and all the companies went to work and made a farm and fenced it. I went to Missouri for an outfit to go farther on with. Those who were too poor to go on stayed at this place. Our company left for Pisgah. We had a very hard time. I went with our Captain to Missouri for corn for the company at Mount Pisgah. It was hard, having heavy loads of corn. It rained and the ground got very soft. We had to send to the company for more teams to get along with.

1846—Makes bridges and is in lead company

We had all the bridges to make to Council Bluffs because we were the head company. We arrived at the Bluffs in the month of June or July, after which we found that there weren’t provisions enough to last the company a great while. Accordingly I was dispatched


Document info
Document views985
Page views985
Page last viewedSun Jan 22 17:25:44 UTC 2017