X hits on this document

Word document

TABLE OF CONTENTS - page 9 / 182





9 / 182

for more corn. We had a pleasant trip. We went with the Captain of the Fifty. We returned and found my wife sick, Our company had crossed over the Missouri River to what was called Cold Springs, some two or three miles from the River. The health of my wife improved but she never entirely got over it during the time that we were camped at Cold Springs.

No opportunity to go with Mormon Battalion

President Young went back to Garden Grove to raise the soldiers in answer to the demand of the government, which was made of the Saints. Bishop Miller left two or three of his teamsters to make up this company because he had no use for them, then left with the balance of us for Pawnee--a distance of 160 miles from Winter Quarters. We were entirely out of the way of the President so that he did not get any of us to make up the numbers that were wanted for soldiers. This was the fault of the Bishop having taken .us out of the way. Thus others had the privilege that some of us were deprived of. Some of us were not apprised of the importance of this move until too late.

There was a station, missionary post, [non-Mormon] at Pawnee. The Pawnee Indians went on a hunt and the Sioux frightened the missionaries away. They persuaded Bishop Miller to move them (the missionaries) to the Bluffs. They had some gardenings, corn and wheat, which they gave us for moving them. We camped here two or three weeks, repairing our wagons and wagonbeds. There was lumber at this place and we availed ourselves of the opportunity that presented itself before us. Then we gathered the garden stuff and wheat, which we received in pay for carrying back the missionaries. During this time there were two fifties, consisting of 100 wagons, which joined our company to go on to the mountains. Accordingly all crossed the Loup Fork and waited for the return of our teams that had gone to move the missionaries.

When they returned they brought an Epistle from the Twelve stating that it was not wisdom for us to go on at that time and for us to stay there or at the nearest place where we could winter our cattle. During the time of our stay at Pawnee, some Puncaw Chiefs came and wished us to go with them for the winter. The Bishop and Council, which consisted of twelve men, concluded to go with them. Jacob Gates and a few more were counseled to stay at Pawnee to winter their cattle, but they were [soon] called away from this place to Winter Quarters, it not being safe for them to stay on account of the Indians. The balance of the Company went to Puncaw, among whom was myself. The distance from Pawnee to Puncaw was some 160 miles and is located on the Missouri River, on the West Side. It is a river of running water and very swift. Here we built a Fort, which consisted of log houses. It was a beautiful place. The fifty to which I belonged lived on rations of three fourths of a pound of breadstuff a day to each person, which was quite scanty.

We commenced living this way back near Garden Grove and continued the same for about five months. At this place the provisions were divided out to each one and we found out that there was not enough to last us through the winter and accordingly it was concluded that it would be best to go back to Missouri for breadstuffs. Quite a number of teams were fitted out from different companies among which I was one of the members.

Bishop Miller tried for misconduct

We started off and at Winter Quarters, where the Company was stopped by the President for a few days where they tried Bishop Miller for some misconduct after which we went on to Missouri and got our loads and started back. It was late in the season and when we got back to Puncaw. We had a very hard time. It was a distance of 450 miles traveled and our teams were badly worn out.

When we returned, I found my family sick--that is my wife. Immediately I had to go up to the running water with the cattle that belonged to Father Fuller. Danford Fuller and I started with twenty head of cattle. Arrangements had been made by Father Fuller to put his cattle with Captain Clark’s and Bartholomew’s, which were being herded by John Dalton and Alvin Green, Sen. It was a distance of ten miles from our fort. We took our dinner with us. I think it was in the month of December. We arrived about 1:00 o’clock and after eating our dinner, we conversed with Mr. Green and Mr. Dalton. They swore that old man Fuller should not leave his cattle up there for he had money and could pay for herding. This is the language that they used. Said they should not be put in the corral with their cattle. We offered to come and help herd, but nothing would do but for us to take them away again.

It was 4:00 o’clock when we started back and had ten miles to go on foot. We took the cattle and left for home. [the fort] We lost our way and traveled until about midnight. We had no supper and it was very cold. We came to some wood but had no way for fire but a caplock gun and little to load it. Several times we fired it, but to no purpose. I put the last two that I had in the gun. V/e must have fire this time or freeze, which I didn’t feel like doing; believed that I should live many years yet. With these feelings arid the gun, we gathered together, and putting the gun in some leaves, swung it around till it blasted. And thus through the mercy of God we were preserved from freezing to death.

We traveled next day until near sundown before we got home. We had no food to eat as we took only enough for our dinner the day before. We were very hungry and tired but we brought the cattle home. We were thankful that our lives were spared and this was in consequence of the stubborness of Dalton and Green. Had not the Lord been merciful I shouldn’t have had the privilege of writing this. I shall never forget this treatment from these men. Hannah was still sick but she soon recovered


Document info
Document views956
Page views956
Page last viewedSat Jan 21 13:45:53 UTC 2017