G/C/W/508/Rev.2 Page 17
(1) As used in this subsection -
(A) The term ''sugar and beef products'' means -
(i) sugars, sirups, and molasses provided for in subheadings 1701.11.00, 1701.12.00, 1701.91.20, 1701.99.00, 1702.90.30, 1806.10.40, and 2106.90.10 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States, and
(ii) articles of beef or veal, however provided for in chapters 2 and 16 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States.
(B) The term ''Plan'' means a stable food production plan that consists of measures and proposals designed to ensure that the present level of food production in, and the nutritional level of the population of, a beneficiary country will not be adversely affected by changes in land use and land ownership that will result if increased production of sugar and beef products is undertaken in response to the duty-free treatment extended under this chapter to such products. A Plan must specify such facts regarding, and such proposed actions by, a beneficiary country as the President deems necessary for purposes of carrying out this subsection, including but not limited to -
(i) the current levels of food production and nutritional health of the population;
(ii) current level of production and export of sugar and beef products;
(iii) expected increases in production and export of sugar and beef products as a result of the duty-free access to the United States market provided under this chapter;
(iv) measures to be taken to ensure that the expanded production of those products because of such duty-free access will not occur at the expense of stable food production; and
(v) proposals for a system to monitor the impact of such duty-free access on stable food production and land use and land ownership patterns.
(2) Duty-free treatment extended under this chapter to sugar and beef products that are the product of a beneficiary country shall be suspended by the President under this subsection if –
(A) the beneficiary country, within the ninety-day period beginning on the date of its designation as such a country under section 2702 of this title, does not submit a Plan to the President for evaluation;
(B) on the basis of his evaluation, the President determines that the Plan of a beneficiary country does not meet the criteria set forth in paragraph (1)(B); or
(C) as a result of the monitoring of the operation of the Plan under paragraph (5), the President determines that a beneficiary country is not making a good faith effort to implement its Plan, or that the measures and proposals in the Plan, although being implemented, are not achieving their purposes.
(3) Before the President suspends duty-free treatment by reason of paragraph (2)(A), (B), or (C) to the sugar and beef products of a beneficiary country, he must offer to enter into consultation with the beneficiary country for purposes of formulating appropriate remedial action which may be taken by that country to avoid such suspension. If the beneficiary country thereafter enters into consultation within a reasonable time and undertakes to formulate remedial action in good faith, the President shall withhold the suspension of duty-free treatment on the condition that the remedial action agreed upon be appropriately implemented by that country.
(4) The President shall monitor on a biennial basis the operation of the Plans implemented by beneficiary countries, and shall submit a written report to Congress by March 15 following the close of each biennium, that -
(A) specifies the extent to which each Plan, and remedial actions, if any, agreed upon under paragraph (4), have been implemented; and
(B) evaluates the results of such implementation.
(5) The President shall terminate any suspension of duty-free treatment imposed under this subsection if he determines that the beneficiary country has taken appropriate action to remedy the factors on which the suspension was based.
(d) Tariff-rate quotas
No quantity of an agricultural product subject to a tariff-rate quota that exceeds the in-quota quantity shall be eligible for duty-free treatment under this chapter.