G/C/W/508/Rev.2 Page 21
(3) adjusting tariffs, reducing nontariff barriers, improving relations among customs officials, and promoting economic relations among countries in the Western Hemisphere.
(c) Consultation; selection criteria
The Commissioner of Customs shall consult with appropriate officials of the State of Texas and private sector authorities with respect to selecting, planning, and establishing the Center. In selecting the appropriate institution, the Commissioner of Customs shall give consideration to –
(1) the institution's ability to carry out the programs and activities described in this section; and
(2) any resources the institution can provide the Center in addition to Federal funds provided under this program.
(d) Programs and activities
The Center shall conduct the following activities:
(1) Provide forums for international discussion and debate for representatives from countries in the Western Hemisphere regarding issues which affect trade and other economic relations within the hemisphere, including the impact of the NAFTA on individual economies and the desirability and feasibility of possible accessions to the NAFTA by such countries.
(2) Conduct studies and research projects on subjects which affect Western Hemisphere trade, including tariffs, customs, regional and national economics, business development and finance, production and personnel management, manufacturing, agriculture, engineering, transportation, immigration, telecommunications, medicine, science, urban studies, border demographics, social anthropology, and population.
(3) Publish materials, disseminate information, and conduct seminars and conferences to support and educate representatives from countries in the Western Hemisphere who seek to do business with or invest in other Western Hemisphere countries.
(4) Provide grants, fellowships, endowed chairs, and financial assistance to outstanding scholars and authorities from Western Hemisphere countries.
(5) Provide grants, fellowships, and other financial assistance to qualified graduate students, from Western Hemisphere countries, to study at the Center.
(6) Implement academic exchange programs and other cooperative research and instructional agreements with the complementary Dante B. Fascell North-South Center at the University of Miami at Coral Gables.
For purposes of this section -
The term ''NAFTA'' means the North American Free Trade Agreement.
(2) Western Hemisphere countries
The terms ''Western Hemisphere countries'', ''countries in the Western Hemisphere'', and ''Western Hemisphere'' mean Canada, the United States, Mexico, countries located in South America, beneficiary countries (as defined by section 2702 of this title), the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin Islands.
(f) Fees for seminars and publications
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a grant made under this section may provide that the Center may charge a reasonable fee for attendance at seminars and conferences and for copies of publications, studies, reports, and other documents the Center publishes. The Center may waive such fees in any case in which it determines imposing a fee would impose a financial hardship and the purposes of the Center would be served by granting such a waiver.
(g) Duration of grant
The Commissioner of Customs is directed to make grants to any institution or institutions selected as the Center for fiscal years 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997.
The Commissioner of Customs shall, no later than July 1, 1994, and annually thereafter for years for which grants are made, submit a written report to the Committee on Finance of the Senate