X hits on this document





16 / 49

  • When getting a price quote or applying for insurance, answer questions truthfully. Wrong information could cause you to get an incorrect price quote or could lead to a denial or cancellation of coverage.

  • Be sure to consider factors other than cost, such as a company’s financial strength and its customer service record. Buy only from licensed companies and agents. You can find out whether agents or companies are licensed and get information about licensed companies’ finances and their complaint histories by calling the Texas Department of Insurance Consumer Help Line (1-800-252-3439 or 463-6515 in Austin) or by visiting the website http://www.tdi.state.tx.us.

If you have trouble finding renters’ insurance, the Texas FAIR Plan Association offers a tenant policy for qualified consumers who are unable to obtain renters’ insurance from a licensed company. To be eligible for this coverage, you must have been denied insurance by at least two licensed insurance companies writing residential property insurance in Texas and may not have received a valid offer of comparable insurance from a company licensed in Texas. FAIR Plan policies are available only through Texas-licensed agents. For more information, contact your agent or the Texas FAIR Plan Association (1-800-979-6440 or http://www.texasfairplan.org).

For answers to general insurance questions or for information on filing an insurance-related complaint, call the Texas Department of Insurance Consumer Help Line (1-800-252-3439 or 463-6515 in Austin) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Central time, Monday-Friday, or visit the website http://www.tdi.state.tx.us.


This section of the handbook discusses tenant rights and remedies provided by Texas law. Unless otherwise indicated, a lease cannot remove or diminish any right or remedy described below. However, your lease may provide additional protections and remedies. So, be sure to read your lease first to see if your problem is addressed.


Texas law requires landlords to make a diligent effort to repair problems about which they have been notified and that materially affect the physical health or safety of an ordinary tenant. Examples of things that materially affect the health and safety of an ordinary tenant are sewage backups, roaches, rats, no hot water, faulty wiring, roof leaks, and, sometimes, a lack of heat or air conditioning. If the problem violates a provision of your city's building, health, or fire code, then it is more likely to be considered a health or safety risk. State law gen- erally does not cover problems such as broken dishwashers, walls that need painting, unsatisfactory draperies, or grass that needs cutting. However, your lease agreement may require the landlord to fix these


Document info
Document views197
Page views197
Page last viewedWed Jan 18 12:00:45 UTC 2017