254. Scimitarbill (Phoeniculus cyanomelas shalowi) – widespread & common.
255. Black Wood-Hoopoe (Phoeniculus aterrimus notatus) – one, with an orangy – ivory coloured bill, seen in Nechisar NP.
256. Abyssinian Scimitarbill (Phoeniculus minor cabanisi) – several at Sof Omar.
257. Hoopoe (Upupa epops senegalensis) [considered as a separate species U. epops including U. e. epops and U. e. waibeli "European Hoopoe" from U. africana "African Hoopoe" by some authorities ] – identified in Jemmu valley, and southern and western areas.
(U. e. waibeli) – identified in Gambela NP.
(U. e. epops) – identified north of Lake Tana (Gorgora).
258. Abyssinian Ground Hornbill (Bucorvus abyssinicus) – widespread & common.
259. Red-billed Hornbill (Tockus erythrorhynchus erythrorhynchus) – widespread & frequent.
(T. e. rufirostris) – seen on track to Shiwa Ngandu, Zambia.
260. Eastern Yellow-billed Hornbill (Tockus flavirostris) – common in south.
261. Von der Decken's Hornbill (Tockus deckeni deckeni) [considered separate species T. deckeni "Von der Decken's Hornbill" from T. jacksoni "Jackson’s Hornbill" by some authorities] – widespread & frequent.
262. Hemprich's Hornbill (Tockus hemprichii) – fairly common along escarpments in the eastern half of the country.
263. Crowned Hornbill (Tockus alboterminatus) – seen north of Mega.
264. Pale-billed Hornbill (Tockus pallidirostris neumanni) – several seen near the road in the Mpika area, Zambia.
265. African Grey Hornbill (Tockus nasutus nasutus) – widespread & frequent.
266. Silvery-checked Hornbill (Ceratogymna brevis) – widespread & frequent.
267. Red-fronted Tinkerbird (Pogoniulus pusillus affinis) – several seen at Sof Omar.
(P. p. uropygialis) – one north of Lake Tana (Gorgora).
268. Yellow-fronted Tinkerbird (Pogoniulus chrysoconus chrysoconus) – widespread & frequent.
(P. c. xanthostictus) – one in the bush behind the hotel at Lake Langano.
269. Red-fronted Barbet (Tricholaema diademata diademata) – one seen in the bush behind the hotel at Lake Langano.
270. Miombo Pied Barbet (Tricholaema frontata) – Common on the track to Shiwa Ngandu, Zambia.
271. Black-throated Barbet (Tricholaema melanocephala stigmatothorax) – one in Awash NP.
272. * Banded Barbet (Lybius undatus leucogenys) – in gardens at the back of the hotel at Lake Langano.
(L. u. undatus) – in the grounds of the Seven Olives Hotel, Lalibela.
273. Black-billed Barbet (Lybius guifsobalito) – common around Fantalle Crater, Awash NP and in the lower levels of the northern highlands.
274. Black-collared Barbet (Lybius torquatus pumilio) – frequent in the south and Rift Valley south of Addis Ababa.
275. Double-toothed Barbet (Lybius bidentatus aequatorialis) – in the forest above Wondo Genet.
276. * Yellow-breasted Barbet (Trachyphonus margaritatus margaritatus) – north of Lake Tana (Gorgora).
(T. m. somalicus) – in the wadi below Dittilou, Djibouti.
277. D'Arnaud's Barbet (Trachyphonus darnaudii bohmi) – seen twice near Moyale, Kenya, once on my way north, and again – in almost the same spot, while going south.
278. Eastern Green-backed Honeybird (Prodotiscus zambesiae ellenbecki) – one near River Genale while looking for Ruspoli’s Turaco.
279. Greater Honeyguide (Indicator indicator) - widespread & common.
280. Lesser Honeyguide (Indicator minor teitensis) – on track to Shiwa Ngandu, Zambia
(I. m. diadematus) – widespread & common.
281. Nubian Woodpecker (Campethera nubica nubica) – in the grounds of the hotel at Lake Awasa.
282. Golden-tailed Woodpecker (Campethera abingoni suahelica) – in the grounds of the hotel at Lake Awasa.
283. * Abyssinian Woodpecker (Dendropicos abyssinicus) – common in Simien Mountains.
284. Cardinal Woodpecker (Dendropicos fuscescens massaicus) – frequent in the Rift Valley.
(D. f. hemprichii) – at the campsite, Awash NP.
285. Bearded Woodpecker (Dendropicos namaquus schoensis) – one in grounds of the hotel at Lake Awasa.
286. Grey Woodpecker (Dendropicos goertae spodocephalus) [considered a separate species D. spodocephalus "Grey-headed Woodpecker" by some authorities] – two in grounds of the hotel at Lake Awasa.
287. African Broadbill (Smithornis capensis albigularis) – heard calling at Shiwa Ngandu
288. * Singing Bush-Lark (Mirafra cantillans marginata) – several in Djibouti.
(M. c. chadensis) – several seen near Gambela.
289. White-tailed Bush-Lark (Mirafra albicauda) – on the northern edge of the Nechisar plains.
290. * Williams's Lark (Mirafra williamsi) – approx. 25 km north of Marsabit.
291. Red-winged Bush-Lark (Mirafra hypermetra gallarum) – frequent in the Rift Valley.
292. Flappet Lark (Mirafra rufocinnamomea omoensis) – common around Fantalle Crater in Awash NP, probably seen elsewhere, but not identified.
293. Fawn-coloured Lark (Mirafra africanoides intercedens) – frequent in Awash NP.
An Ethiopian trip: 27/11/1999 to 17/01/2000Giles Mulholland 31 January 2000