445. Tacazze Sunbird (Nectarinia tacazze) – widespread and common.
446. Beautiful Sunbird (Nectarinia pulchella lucidipectus) – several on the track up Fantalle Crater, Awash NP.
447. Yellow-tufted Malachite Sunbird (Nectarinia famosa cupreonitens) – several seen from the main road near Mount Kenya.
448. * White-breasted White-eye (Zosterops abyssinicus abyssinicus) – widespread & common.
449. Yellow White-eye (Zosterops senegalensis jubaensis) – several at Sof Omar.
450. African Golden Oriole (Oriolus auratus auratus) – one seen at Nechisar NP
451. Black-headed Oriole (Oriolus larvatus rolleti) – common in the Rift Valley.
452. * Black-headed Forest Oriole (Oriolus monacha meneliki) – common at the hotel at Wondo Genet.
453. Red-backed Shrike (Lanius collurio) – common in Awash NP.
454. Red-tailed Shrike (Lanius isabellinus phoenicuroides) – common in Awash NP.
455. Lesser Grey Shrike (Lanius minor) – widespread & frequent.
456. * Great Grey Shrike (Lanius excubitor elegans) [including L. e. leucopygos in this race] [considered as a separate species L. elegans "Southern Great Grey Shrike" from L. excubitor "Northern Shrike" by some authorities] – common in Djibouti.
(L. e. pallidirostris) – frequent between Weldiya, Lalibela & Gonder.
(L. e. buryi) – common in Djibouti.
(L. e. aucheri) – common in Awash NP and towards Djibouti.
457. Grey-backed Fiscal (Lanius excubitoroides bohmi) – frequent in the Rift Valley, south and south-east.
458. Long-tailed Fiscal (Lanius cabanisi) – common in the south and through Kenya.
459. Somali Fiscal (Lanius somalicus) – singles in Awash NP & near Negele.
460. Fiscal Shrike (Lanius collaris humeralis) – common in the Rift Valley and south.
461. * Woodchat Shrike (Lanius senator niloticus) – one at Lake Abiata-Shala NP.
462. Long-tailed Shrike (Urolestes melanoleucus aequatorialis) – one seen near Yavello.
463. Northern White-crowned Shrike (Eurocephalus ruppelli) – common in the south.
464. * Pringles' Puffback (Dryoscopus pringli) – one seen next to the road by the river near Melka Ghuba.
465. Northern Puffback (Dryoscopus gambensis erythreae) – widespread & frequent.
466. Three-streaked Tchagra (Tchagra jamesi jamesi) – frequent in the southern Rift Valley.
467. Black-headed Tchagra (Tchagra senegala habessinica) – widespread & common.
468. Rosy-patched Shrike (Rhodophoneus cruentus hilgerti) – common from Awash NP through to Djibouti.
469. Tropical Boubou (Laniarius aethiopicus aethiopicus) – widespread & common.
(L. a. major) – at campsite at Shiwa Ngandu, Zambia.
470. Crimson-breasted Bush Shrike (Laniarius attrococcineus erythrogaster) – common in the western lowlands near Gambela.
471. Slate-coloured Boubou (Laniarius funebris) – widespread & common.
472. Orange-breasted Bush Shrike (Malaconotus sulfureopectus similis) – widespread & frequent.
473. Grey-headed Bush Shrike (Malaconotus blanchoti approximans) – in the dry wadi near the River Genale while searching for Ruspoli’s Turaco.
474. White Helmet Shrike (Prionops plumatus poliocephala) [considered as a separate species P. plumata "Straight-crested White Helmet Shrike" from P. cristata " Curly-crested White Helmet Shrike " by some authorities] – several at Forest Inn near Mkushi, Zambia.
(P. p. cristata) [ see above] – frequent in the Rift Valley.
475. Fork-tailed Drongo (Dicrurus adsimilis adsimilis) – widespread and common.
476. * Stresemann's Bush Crow (Zavattariornis stresemanni) – common on road from Moyale (from 40 km south of Mega) north to Yavello, although none seen on road from Negele to Yavello.
477. * Red-billed Chough (Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax docilis) – large flock of 100+ seen in Simien, and two pairs seen in the Bale Mountains.
478. House Crow (Corvus splendens splendens) – common in Djibouti city.
479. Pied Crow (Corvus albus) – widespread & common.
480. Black Crow (Corvus capensis kordofanensis) – widespread & common.
481. Fan-tailed Raven (Corvus rhipidurus) – common in the highlands.
482. White-necked Raven (Corvus albicollis) – frequent on the road past Mount Kenya.
483. * Thick-billed Raven (Corvus crassirostris) – very common in the eastern highlands, less so in the western.
484. Red-winged Starling (Onychognathus morio ruppellii) – common in northern Kenya and the south.
485. * Somali Chestnut-winged Starling (Onychognathus blythii) – a small flock seen at the Fantalle Crater, Awash NP.
486. * Slender-billed Chestnut-winged Starling (Onychognathus tenuirostris tenuirostris) – several flocks seen in the forest above at Wondo Genet.
487. * White-billed Starling (Onychognathus albirostris) – common along highland escarpments
488. Greater Blue-eared Glossy Starling (Lamprotornis chalybeus chalybeus) – widespread & common.
(L c. sycobius) – on the track to Shiwa Ngandu, Zambia.
An Ethiopian trip: 27/11/1999 to 17/01/2000Giles Mulholland 31 January 2000