528. Long-tailed Widowbird (Euplectes progne delamerei) – seen around Mount Kenya, while looking for Jackson’s Widowbird.
529. Orange-winged Pytilia (Pytilia afra) - several seen in Nechisar NP.
530. Red-winged Pytilia (Pytilia phoenicoptera lineata) [considered as a separate species P. lineata "Lineated Pytilia" by some authorities] – seen several times along the road around Metu.
531. * Ethiopian Crimsonwing (Cryptospiza salvadorii salvadorii) – two in the forest above Wondo Genet.
532. Red-billed Firefinch (Lagonosticta senegala brunneiceps) – common in the highlands and north.
(L. s. somaliensis) – common in the south.
533. * Black-faced Firefinch (Lagonosticta larvata larvata) [considered as a separate species L. larvata "Black-throated Firefinch" from L. vinacea "Black-faced Firefinch" of West Africa by some authorities] – several along the roadsides near Metu, mainly females.
534. Blue-billed Firefinch (Lagonosticta rubricata haematocephala) – at the campsite, Shiwa Ngandu, Zambia.
535. Jameson's Firefinch (Lagonosticta rhodopareia rhodopareia) – frequent in the western highlands.
536. Swee Waxbill (Estrilda melanotis quartinia) [considered as a separate species E. quartina "Yellow-bellied Waxbill" from E. melanotis "Swee Waxbill" and E. kilimensis "East Swee Waxbill" of southern Africa by some authorities] –.frequent in the western highlands.
537. Fawn-breasted Waxbill (Estrilda paludicola ochrogaster) [considered as a separate species E. ochrogaster "Abyssinian Waxbill" by some authorities] – several at Gefersa Reservoir.
538. Crimson-rumped Waxbill (Estrilda rhodopyga rhodopyga) – two near Gambela NP.
539. Common Waxbill (Estrilda astrild peasei) – widespread & frequent.
540. Blue Waxbill (Uraeginthus angolensis niassensis) – at Riverside campsite, Iringa, Tanzania.
541. Red-cheeked Cordon-bleu (Uraeginthus bengalus bengalus) – widespread & common..
542. Purple Grenadier (Uraeginthus ianthinogaster ianthinogaster) – often seen on the road north of Arusha to Kenya.
(U. i. hawkeri) – common in Rift Valley.
543. Bronze Mannikin (Lonchura cucullata scutatus) – flocks at the Gorgora hotel, Lake Tana and at Wondo Genet.
544. Cut-throat (Amadina fasciata alexanderi) – one at Lake Heyk.
545. Village Indigobird (Vidua chalybeata centralis) – widespread & common, especially Lake Langano.
546. Pin-tailed Whydah (Vidua macroura) – common from Tanzania southwards.
547. Acacia Paradise Whydah (Vidua paradisea) – widespread & frequent, common in Awash NP.
548. * Exclamatory Paradise Whydah (Vidua interjecta) – common in the western lowlands around Gambela.
549. Cape Canary (Serinus canicollis flavivertex) – common in the Gorgora hotel grounds, Lake Tana.
550. * Black-headed Siskin (Serinus nigriceps) – common in the highlands, especially Bale Mountains..
551. African Citril (Serinus citrinelloides citrinelloides) – common at Lake Awasa and Wondo Genet.
552. Yellow-rumped Seedeater (Serinus atrogularis reichenowi) [considered as a separate species S. reichenowi "Kenya Yellow-rumped Seed-eater" or "Reichenow's Seedeater" from S. atrogularis "Black-throated Seed-eater" of southern Africa by some authorities] – several seen between Lake Beseka and the main gate to Awash NP.
553. * White-throated Serin (Serinus xanthopygiusxanthopygius) [considered as a sub-species of S. atrogularis "Yellow-rumped Seed-eater" by some authorities] – common around Lalibela.
554. * Salvadori's Serin (Serinus xantholaemus) – 3 at Sof Omar, but not in the valley but in the farmland within 3 km of the gorge.
555. Yellow-eyed Canary (Serinus mozambicus grotei) – several near Gambela.
(S. m. gommaensis) – frequent in the western highlands.
556. Streaky-headed Seedeater (Serinus gularis erlangeri) – common throughout, especially Jemmu valley.
557. * Brown-rumped Seedeater (Serinus tristriatus tristriatus) – abundant in Addis Ababa, and common in the highlands.
558. * Yemen Serin (Serinus menachensis ankoberensis) [considered as a separate species S. ankoberensis "Ankober Serin" by some authorities] – at the standard site, no sign in any of the "normal" areas, but eventually found a pair singing from inside the only small tree in the area.
559. Streaky Seedeater (Serinus striolatus striolatus) – widespread & frequent.
560. * Ortolan Bunting (Emberiza hortulana) – several around the hotel at Lake Langano.
561. Cinnamon-breasted Rock Bunting (Emberiza tahapisi tahapisi) – widespread & common.
(E. t. septemstriata) – several seen in the Simien Mountains.
562. Golden-breasted Bunting (Emberiza flaviventris flaviventris) – on the road between Gonder and Debark.
563. * Brown-rumped Bunting (Emberiza affinis omoensis) – several seen on the road north from Yavello to Lake Awasa.
An Ethiopian trip: 27/11/1999 to 17/01/2000Giles Mulholland 31 January 2000