Melczer, The Pilgrim’s Guide
1. Briefly summarize the biblical information on St. James
2. Sketch the development of the legend of James in Spain
3. Importance of relics. (Think in terms of presence vs. absence--how does one take possession of the sacred here and now in this world?)
4. Describe the two major iconographic images of Santiago.
5. What is imitatio Christi?
6. Name and describe the four medieval pilgrimage roads through France.
7. List the typical pilgrim’s gear.
8. What connections exist between Charlemagne and the Road?
9. What is the importance of the Liber Sancti Jacobi?
10. Who is Aimery Picaud?
11. Why go on pilgrimage? What are the various motivations of pilgrims?
12. Discuss the tradition of hospitality on the Road.
Read and summarize the following passages from the Bible:
Matthew 25: 31-46
Luke 24: 13-35 (We are going to memorize these verses as a group.)
Hebrews 11: 13-16
Hebrews 13: 1-2