1. Alignment of mortar joints:
a. Jog in Alignment: 1/8 inch (3 mm).
b. Alignment with Panel Centerline: Plus or Minus 1/8 inch (3 mm).
2. Variation in Width of Exposed Mortar Joints: Plus or Minus 1/8 inch (9 mm).
3. Tipping of Individual Bricks from the Panel Plane of Exposed Brick Surface: Plus 1/16 inch (1.5
mm); Minus 1/4 inch (6 mm) depth of form liner joint.
4. Exposed Brick Surface Parallel to Primary Control Surface of Panel: Plus 1/4 inch (6 mm);
Minus 1/8 inch (3 mm).
5. Individual Brick Step in Face from Panel Plane of Exposed Brick Surface: Plus 1/16 inch
(1.5mm); Minus 1/4 inch (6 mm) depth of form liner joint.
E. Stone Veneer-Faced Architectural Precast Concrete Units.
Tolerances below are generally appropriate for smooth-finished stone. Retain, delete, or revise to suit Project.
1. Variation in Cross-Sectional Dimensions: For thickness of walls from dimensions indicated: Plus
or Minus 1/4 inch (6 mm).
2. Variation in Joint Width: 1/8 inch in 36 inches (3 mm in 900 mm) or a quarter of nominal joint
width, whichever is less.
Revise or delete below for natural-cleft, thermal, and similar finishes.
3. Variation in Plane between Adjacent Stone Units (Lipping): 1/16 inch (1.5-mm) difference
between planes of adjacent units.
Panel faces shall be free of joint marks, grain, and other obvious defects. Corners, including false joints shall be uniform, straight and sharp. Finish exposed-face surfaces of architectural precast concrete units to match approved [design reference sample] [sample panels] [mockups] and as follows:
This Article presumes Architect has preapproved one or more design reference samples. Include complete description of design reference sample here. If preapproving manufacturers, coordinate with “Manufacturers” Article. Revise if multiple samples are approved.
Design Reference Sample: <Insert description and identify fabricator and code number of sample.>
Delete subparagraph below if not used. PCI published numbered, color photographs of 428 precast concrete finishes, see PCI’s website www.pci.org. Revise below and add reference number. Add reference number combinations if more than one finish is required.
PCI’s “Architectural Precast Concrete –Color and Texture Selection Guide,” of plate numbers indicated.