(Photo by Richard F. Hope)
(206 Spring Garden Street)
2-1/2 story grey stone home with ornate decorative red and green trim and railings; porch and second story balcony; dormers. Identified as being in the “Victorian/Queen Anne” architectural style.1
The land is a rectangular strip fronting on Spring Garden Street, with an added strip of access to Second Street. It cuts across the middle of what were once original town Lot Nos.59 and 61. These original town Lots were surveyed by William Parsons when Easton was established in 1752. These two original town Lots were both conveyed to Samuel Sitgreaves by the Penn Family in two transactions between 1800 and 1802.2 Samuel Sitgreaves was a lawyer; a Federalist Congressman from Pennsylvania; and from 1798 a US Commissioner to Great Britain regarding British claims under the Jay Treaty. In addition, he was the first President of The Easton Bank, a leader of the campaign to build the Delaware River Bridge in 1806,3 and made crucial donations to found Easton’s Library Hall4 and the Easton Trinity Episcopal Church.5
Originally, the house on this lot was one-half of a Federal style duplex, with the other half at what became 208 Spring Garden Street, and both were “identical”.6 The porch served both units, but was moved over to the remaining unit at No.208 when this one (at No.206) was remodeled7 by Floyd Bixler8 in the mid 1880s (see below).
In 1843, this “Stone Messuage or Tenement” became the sole property of Dr. Charles Innes, who partitioned it from an inherited estate.9 Dr. Innes, a resident of “Millionaire’s Row” (North Third Street),10 apparently rented out the Spring Garden Street house. In 1855, it was the home of Hon. Washington McCartney,11 President Judge of the Third Judicial Circuit of Pennsylvania from 1851 until his death,12 and founding father of Easton’s public high school.13 Judge McCartney died in 1856.14