THE INSTITUTE AND ITS ACADEMIC CURRICULUM
On the outskirts of the west entrance of the historic city of Nagpur the magnificent building situated on top of the hillock giving a panoramic view of the picturesque city draws one's attention. One can not but have a sense of admiration and appreciation for the selection of a marvelous and lovely site by the architects who were instrumental in planning of yet another academic activity, a center for the learning of Technology within the fold of Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University. The Laxminarayan Institute of Technology popularly known as LIT owes its existence to the munificent donation of Late Rao Bahadur D. Laxminarayan to the Nagpur University. The present site and surroundings of the Institute with 78.04 acres of land on the Kolkata - Mumbai National Highway was spotted out and secured by Late Sir Harisingh Gour, who was an eminent educationist of his times and the Vice Chancellor of Nagpur University during 1937-38.
The Laxminarayan Institute of Technology has well equipped laboratories with highly qualified technical staffs in their own fields. The staff members are extremely devoted and dedicated to their noble profession and are always prepared to accept the challenges of modern times. They are actively engaged in training the students in the present context and have also taken up research activities of diversified interest. The establishment of this center of learning in technological branches in this part of the region as far back as 1942 was perhaps the only one of its kind in Central India. The institute has produced many graduates in Chemical Engineering and Chemical Technology during its fruitful existence of sixty-eight years. It also takes pride in its Post-graduate and Doctoral research programmes.
The Institute is proud to have been credited with the right training and dynamic leadership, it has provided to hundreds of its students who are today engaged in the production, planning, development of new techniques and management of numerous industries all over the country. The personnel, thus trained by the Institute in the past sixty eight years of its existence, have become the credit of self employment. It is today providing openings in as many as six different branches of Technology.