Nanda- (worth 60 pts.)
- Give the definition of culture and its various aspects, then explain in your own words what culture is. (2-3 paragraphs min.)
-Discuss your views on The Nacirema, (p.2).
-B.I.B. H. Discuss the Anthropologists and Human Rights “You Decide” questions on page 65. (1 paragraph min. each)
Hogan- (worth 40 pts.)
-Explain Hogan’s definition of culture and the first Skill of Cultural Diversity Competence.
-Answer worksheets 4 & 5 as you analyze your personal culture (in relation to the 12 aspects of culture).
Language- after reading the material from Chapter 4- Nanda’s text, and chapters 3 & 4 of Hogan’s discuss the following:
Nanda- (worth 50 pts.)
-Discuss the structure of language
-Explain the complexity and interaction between language and culture (including the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis)
- Explain the complexity and importance of non-verbal communication, as well as the various subfields of study.
-Read and discuss the communication exchange among the Western Apache and what you think about it (p.78-79).
-Then answer the English Only “You Decide” questions on p. 90-91.
Hogan- (worth 50pts.)
-Read chapters 2 & 3, and explain Skill 2 and Skill 3 of Cultural Diversity Competence, including each of their components (i.e. the six barriers and fourteen competencies).
-Complete worksheets 13, 14 & 15.
Marriage & Gender- using the material from chapters 7 and 8 from Nanda’s text, as well as the articles How to be a Good Wife… discuss the following information (one paragraph for each aspect):
-Marriage Practices (including types and rules of marriage) explain what marriage is and the universality of marriage across cultures.
- Discuss how is marriage changing in the U.S., include statistics from the textbooks and the information from How to be a Good Wife handouts.
- Explain the functions of marriage as an institution and the challenges.
- Reflect on the effects of globalization in global marriage practices.
- Read and answer the questions from Polygamy in the United States “You Decide” (pp.164-165).
- Discuss concepts (both marriage and gender) from one the following films: Monsoon Wedding, My Big Fat Greek Wedding,